Thursday, May 21, 2009

Funniest book ever

If you have ever tried to lose weight, or have felt that you have struggled with your weight, do I have the book for you. I laughed out loud at the honest look in to a woman's battle with her weight that this author provided. A sampling for your reading pleasure, "A month ago I was fat and happy. But ever since I made the decision to drop a few pounds - way less easy than it sounds, by the way - I've become obsessed with my size, and in so doing I've inadvertently allowed my inner critic to have a voice. And you know what? She's a bitch. Like now when I see my underpants in the laundry, I no longer think Soft! Cotton! Sensible! Instead I hear her say Damn, girl, these panties be huge." Courtesy of Jen Lancaster, author of "Such a Pretty Fat." I highly suggest it if you need a memoir that will make you laugh out loud. (http://www.amazon.com/Such-Pretty-Fat-Narcissists-Discover/dp/0451223896/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1242951570&sr=1-1)

Another thing that occurred to me today as I bathed in the (FINALLY) sunny weather of North Carolina? Technology is the reason that an ever increasing number of people require therapy and medication to function (read the book, you'll understand why I was thinking about this.) We are so tapped in to everything that is happening in the world at every nano-second, that we are forgetting how to disengage and just relax. Now I am definitely at fault in my appreciation of the technology revolution. I have an i-Pod, I have a blackberry, I DVR things. And I am not willing to give up any of those things. But my question is when did a cell phone become obsolete because it doesn't download your email and have the capacity to give you directions to the nearest Starbucks? Given my decision to not give up any of the above, how do I find a middle ground? Where I feel tapped in, but not so anxiety ridden that I can't sleep? Is the answer really medication? The last thing I really want to do is add more medicine into my daily routine, but I also don't want to feel like I'm going to throw-up for good portions of a day. First stop therapy, second stop, I don't know. We will cross that bridge when we get there.

On a lighter, happier note, today is my four year wedding anniversary. Reflecting on the last four years, its been pretty good (with the obvious exception of the last 12 calendar months.) I have a great husband, and overall, things have been pretty good. So, Ham-Hock, I love you. Happy Anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment